1. The shop-assistant was straight with his customers. If an article was of _____ quality, he'd tell them so.
A. humble B. minor C. inferior D. awkward
[注释]inferior 比较差的；humble谦卑的，恭顺的，低下的；awkward 尴尬的，别扭的， 笨手笨脚的；不好用的；
1)This cloth is inferior to that one .（这块布比那块质量差）
2)She feels inferior to her elder sister .（她感到比姐姐差的多。）
3)He is of humble birth.（她出身低微。）
4)He is very humble towards his superiors.（ 他对上司低三下四。）
5)he felt awkward and uncomfortable.（他感到尴尬不自在）
6)He was an awkward carpenter.（他是个笨手笨脚的木匠）
7)This is a very awkward question. We must ask that of Hery.（这个问题不好对付，我们必须去问问亨利）
2. If you put too many potatoes in that paper-bag it will _____.
A. fail B. explode C. crack D. burst
[注释] burst vt./vi.涨破，涨裂。Burst one's clothes（撑破衣服）。
3. One-room schoolhouses can still be found in _____ areas where there are no other schools for many miles.
ed B. deserted C. isolated D. abandoned
Dispose of sth. 处理掉某物：He disposed of his old car .（他把旧的汽车处理掉了。）意为卖掉或扔掉等。
4. I'm afraid you have no _____ but to come along with us.
A. possibility B. permission C. choice D. selection
[注释]have no choice but 除了..没有别的选择；只能..：I have no choice but to obey.(我只能服从)。
5. I shall never beat John at tennis; we are clearly not in the same _____.
A. set B. band C. group D. class
[答案] D. class.
[注释]be in the same class 水平相同。此句中class,意为“(高低、优劣的)等级；种 类”。
6. As soon as Charles had _____ a little from his surprise, his one thought was to get away.
A. returned B. absorbed C. dissolved D. recovered
[答案] D. recovered.
[注释]recover from 从.....恢复过来
7. When I arrived in this country, I had to start learning the language from _____.
A. scratch B. scrap C. snatch D. scrape
[答案] A. scratch.
[注释]start from scratch (=from the beginning, from nothing) 从头开始，白手起家；
John brought the radio from scratch. (=John bought the parts and put them together himself.)
8. The thieves _____ him _____ in the park, took his wallet and escaped.
A. held .. back B. held .. up
C. held .. on D. held .. out
[答案] B. held ... up.
[注释]hold up sb.拦劫
9. Japan has to employ an increasing number of overseas workers because there is no easy solution to its labor _____.
A. decline B. rarity C. vacancy D. shortage
[答案] D. shortage.
[注释]labour shortage 劳动力短缺。Decline 下降。rarity稀少。vacancy 空缺，未占用.
10. The two dogs started to fight, so we tried to _____ them.
A. split B. separate C. tear D. divide
[答案] B. separate.
[注释]separate 意指将结合的东西“分开，拆散”，divide指把整体“分成”几个部 分，split（沿一条线-）裂开，tear撕开，distinguish“区分，区别，辨别”。