Dairyman Crick insisted that all the dairy people should milk different cows every day, not just their favourites. He was worried that a dairymaid might leave the dairy, and then her cows would not like being milked by a stranger. However, Tess began to find that the cows which came to her usually happened to be her favourites. This made her milking much easier. But she soon realized that it was not by chance, as it was Angel Clare who sent the cows in for milking.
奶场主克里克坚持让所有奶场的工人每天挤不同的奶牛,而不是只挤他们最喜欢的那几头。他担心一旦哪个挤奶女工离开奶场后,她的奶牛会不喜欢被一个陌生人挤奶。然而,苔丝渐渐发现,分配给她的奶牛碰巧总是她最喜欢的几头。这让她挤起来更加轻松。但她很快发现这不是什么凑巧的事儿,因为是安吉尔·克莱尔分派待挤的奶牛。

解析:milk 作名词是牛奶、乳状物的意思;milk 还可以作动词意思为挤奶或者引申为榨取
eg: The farmer milks the cows twice a day.
那农夫一天挤两次母牛的奶。

by chance 偶然、意外地
eg: I met Tom by chance yesterday.
昨天我偶然遇见汤姆。

‘Mr Clare,you have sent me my favourite cows!’she accused him one morning, blushing
“克莱尔先生,你总是把我最喜欢的奶牛分给我!”一天早上,她红着脸指责他说。

‘Well, it doesn't matter,’ said he.‘ You will always be here to milk them.’
“啊,这不要紧,”他说,“你反正会总在这儿挤它们的。”

‘Do you think so?I hope I shall.But I don't know.’Afterwards she was angry with herself. She had spoken too seriously to him, as if he were involved in her staying or leaving. In the evening after milking she walked in the garden alone, thinking about it.
“你这么以为吗?我希望如此,但我不知道。”说完之后,她对自己有些恼火。她刚才对他说话时太严肃了,好像把他牵扯进了她的去留问题。傍晚挤完奶后,她独自到园子里漫步,心里还想着这件事。

解析:afterwards 后来、然后
eg: Afterwards you can relax with snacks or soft drinks just beside the pool.
之后你可以在池边吃点儿小吃,喝点儿饮料,放松一下。

as if 犹如、好像
eg: He looked as if he was ill.
他的样子显得似乎是生病了。

It was a typical summer evening in June. The air was delicate and there was a complete, absolute silence. It was broken by the sound of a harp. The notes floated in the still air, strong and clear. Tess listened like a fascinated bird. She drew near to Clare, who still had not seen her. She was conscious of neither time nor space. The tune moved through her mind and body, bringing tears to her eyes. The waves of colour of the wild flowers mixed with the waves of sound.Angel finished playing, and caught sight of her. She blushed and moved away.
这是6月间一个典型的夏日傍晚。空气柔和清新,四周静悄悄的,没有一丝声响。这份静谧被一阵竖琴声划破了。旋律在静止的空气中流动着,清晰有力。苔丝就像一只着了魔的鸟儿一般倾听着。她走近克莱尔,但克莱尔仍没注意到她。这时,苔丝心中已没有了时间和空间的感觉。这旋律流进了她的心田,流遍了她的全身,令她热泪盈眶。野花的各种色彩摇摆着,与音乐声的波动混合在一起。一曲终了,安吉尔看见了她。她脸刷地红了,赶紧走开了。

解析:typical 典型的、特有的
eg: He's a typical Virgo: Good at remembering details.
他是个典型的处女座的人:善于记细节。

delicate 精美的、精致的;易碎的
eg: What a delicate work of art!
多精美的一件艺术品啊!

‘Why are you going, Tess?’he asked.‘Are you afraid?’
“为什么要走开呢,苔丝?”他问,“是害怕吗?”