When Tess arrived home the following afternoon a letter had already been received by her mother.It appeared to come from Mrs d’Urberville,and offered Tess work looking after chickens. Joan Durbeyfield was delighted
第二天下午,没等苔丝回到家,她母亲就先收到了一封信。信像是德伯夫人写来的,她给苔丝提供了一份养鸡的差事。琼·德北非常高兴。

解析:appear 出现、显得;似乎、好像 文中的"appear"取“似乎、好像”的意思。
eg: Real returns also appear to be mixed.
实际收益似乎也是喜忧参半。

‘It's just a way of getting you there without raising your hopes.She's going to recognize you as family,I'm sure of it.’
“这是让你去他们那里,同时不要抱太大希望。我相信她一定会把你当做一家人看待的。”

解析:be sure of 确信、对……有把握
eg: I am sure of that the team will win the game.
我确信这支队伍会赢得这场比赛。

‘I would rather stay here with father and you,’said Tess,looking out of the window.
“我宁愿留在家里跟你和爸爸在一起。”苔丝看着窗外说。

解析:would rather 宁愿、宁可
eg: He said he would rather not tell his age.
他说他还是不告诉我年龄为好。

‘But why?’
“那又为什么?”

‘I'd rather not tell you, mother.I don't really know.’
“还是别对你说的好,妈妈,我也不太清楚。”

A few days later when Tess came back from looking for work, the children came running out and danced round her.
几天过后,当苔丝外出找工作回来时,孩子们都跑了出来,围着她手舞足蹈。

解析:look for 寻找
eg; He began to look for a new job immediately after he was fired.
他被解雇后立即开始寻找一份新工作。

‘The gentleman's been here!’they shouted.
“有位先生来过这儿!”他们嚷嚷道。