I. Listening Comprehension
1. A. At a bakery. B. At a hotel.
C. At a post office. D. At a birthday party.
2. A. Librarian and student. B. Operator and caller.
C. Boss and secretary. D. Customer and repairman.
3. A. 30 minutes. B. 60 minutes.
C. 90 minutes. D. 120 minutes.
4. A. A best sailor. B. A latest book.
C. A good business. D. An exciting story.
5. A. By going on a diet. B. By eating fruit and vegetables.
C. By having fewer meals. D. By doing physical exercise.
6. A. It was interesting and easy to follow. B. It was far beyond his understanding.
C. It was as difficult as he had expected. D. It was long but easy to understand.
7. A. The traffic is always very heavy. B. The man needn’t go to the airport.
C. The subway is crowded at rush hours. D. The man had better take the subway.
8. A. The woman prefers going out. B. The woman will make the decision.
C. The man agrees with the woman. D. The man would rather stay inside.
9. A. The man can tell Kelly the news the next day.
B. The man shouldn’t tell Kelly the news at school.
C. The man should tell Kelly’s brother the news.
D. The man had better tell Kelly the news by himself.
10. A. The match will be put off due to the rain.
B. The rain isn’t likely to influence the man’s team.
C. The result of the match is sure to be affected.
D. The rain will help the man’s team win the match.
Questions 11 through 13 are based on the following passage.
11. A. To get better jobs. B. To save more money.
C. To move into a larger apartment. D. To receive further education.
12. A. It had family-friendly politics. B. It owned a child-care center on site.
C. It offered its staff excellent benefits. D. It rewarded employees with apartments.
13. A. Satisfied. B. Surprised. C. Confused. D. Interested.
Questions 14 through 16 are based on the following passage.
14. A. In 1185. B. In 1209. C. In 1386. D. In 1836.
15. A. Because many early learning centers were set up.
B. Because Oxford and Cambridge were established.
C. Because the largest expansion of universities occurred.
D. Because independent universities came into existence.
16. A. Definition of universities. B. Development of universities.
C. Finance for universities. D. Donations for universities.
Blanks 17 through 20 are based on the following conversation.
Complete the form. Write ONE WORD for each blank.
Working at KFC: It’s __17__.
Cutting grass: One can earn $ __18__ each time.
Working for a sports camp: It’s a(n) __19__ job.
Serving at a hotel: One may get lots of __20__.
Blanks 21 through 24 are based on the following conversation.
Complete the form. Write NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS for each answer.
How did Mrs. Carter feel in the morning? She felt all right when getting up but got a __21__ after breakfast.
When did Mrs. Carter feel the pain again? After she had a little snack, a few __22__.
When did Mrs. Carter feel the worst? About __23__ after lunch.
What did the doctor advise Mrs. Carter to do? To __24__ before meals and not to eat too much.