10. 2005·湖南卷 完形填空
When I was thirteen, my family moved from Boston to Tucson, Arizona. 36 the move, my father 37 us in the living-room on a freezing January night. My sisters and I sat around the fire, not 38 that the universe would suddenly change its course. "In May, we're 39 to Arizona."
The words, so small, didn't seem 40 enough to hold my new life. But the world changed and I awoke on a tram moving across the country. I watched the _41_ change from green trees to flat dusty plains to high mountains as I saw strange new plants that 42 mysteries(奥秘) yet to come. Finally, we arrived and 43 into own new home. 44 my older sisters were sad at the loss of friends, I 45 explored(探索) our new surroundings.
One afternoon, I was out exploring 46 and saw a new kind of cactus(仙人掌). I crouched (蹲) down for a closer look. "You'd better not 47 that."
I turned around to see an old woman, "Are you new lo this neighborhood?" I explained that I was, 48 , new to the entire state.
"My name is Ina Thorne. Have you got used to life in the 49 ? It must be quite a _50_ after living in Boston."
How could I explain how I 51 the desert? I couldn't seem to find the right words.
"It's vastness," she offered. “That vastness 52 you stand on the mountains overlooking the desert -- you can 53 how little you are in comparison with the world. _54_ , you feel that the possibilities are limitless.”
That was it. That was the feeling I'd bad ever since I'd first seen the mountains of my new home. Again, my 55 would change with just a few simple words.
"Would you like to come to my home tomorrow? Someone should teach you which plant you should and shouldn't touch."
36. A. During B. Until C. Upon D. Before
37. A. gathered B. warned C. organized D. comforted
38. A. hoping B. admitting C. realizing D. believing
39. A. going B. moving C. driving D. flying
40. A. good B. simple C. big D. proper
41 A. picture B. ground C. sense D. area
42. A. suggested B. solved C. discovered D. explained
43. A. settled B. walked C. hurried D. stepped
44. A. If B. After C. once D. While
45. A. bitterly B. easily C. proudly D. eagerly
46 A as well B. as usual C. fight away D. on time
47. A. move B. dig C. pull D. touch
48. A. of course B. in fact C. after all D. at least
49. A. desert B. city C. state D. country
50. A. luck B. doubt C. shock D. danger
51. A. found B. examined C. watched D. reached
52. A. why B. when C. how D. where
53. A. prove B. guess C. sense D. expect
54. A. However B. Otherwise C. Therefore D. Meanwhile
55. A. idea B. life C. home D. family
答案 36.D 37.A 38.C 39.B 40.C 41.C 42.A 43.A 44.D 45.D
46.B 47.D 48.B 49.A 50.C 51.A 52.B 53.C 54.D 55.B