What a busy day! The three boys were fed, bathed and changed in to their nightclothes. Mary had ___36___ them a story and finally they were asleep. “Babysitting（照看）the three boys aged eight, six and four is extremely ___37___,” she thought.
“Sleep,” she considered, “if only I could!” But she had difficult homework to complete. Leaning back, she ___38___ her feet onto the sofa to get comfortable. Whoever said babysitting was a(an) ___39___ way to make money obviously hadn’t met the three boys, she thought. The television was on, the room was warm, and the lights were dim. Mary’s ___40___ felt heavier and heavier. I mustn’t sleep, she thought — which was ___41___ what she did, of course.
Strangely enough, she soon ___42___ that she was a world-famous chef（主厨）. She made a ___43___ and wore diamonds and designer clothes. Most days she relaxed by the pool, meeting the rich and famous or ___44___ — her favorite hobby. She ___45___ took the leading role in her own TV show.
That is, until she became too ___46___. “I am definitely the best in the world,” she thought, as she prepared a tasty chicken dish. But ___47___ seemed to go right. She spilt the flour, she dropped an egg and she cut her finger. Despite all the troubles, she ___48___ to get the chicken into the dove. Soon, smoke blanketed the room. The chicken was on fire. ___49___ set in, but Mary could not run — she was ___50___ to the spot. She tried hard to move, but could not, ___51___ a sharp sound awoke her.
She got shocked and confused — ___52___ was pouring from the kitchen. Rushing to investigate, she was met by three ___53___ little faces and some very burnt bread. “Sorry, we were hungry and you were ___54___, so we tried to make some bread,” explained a boy. Relieved, Mary made them a snack and sent them back to bed. She___37__ them never to fall asleep on the job again!
36. A. given B. written C. told D. taught
37. A. successful B. helpful C. tiring D. surprising
38. A. shook B. put C. bent D. kept
39. A. difficult B. boring C. important D. easy
40. A. eyes B. mind C. heart D. legs
41. A. nicely B. exactly C. curiously D. carelessly
42. A. realized B. reminded C. learnt D. dreamt
43. A. decision B. fortune C. business D. plan
44. A. cooking B. reading C. running D. babysitting
45. A. just B. ever C. even D. only
46. A. selfish B. proud C. stubborn D. sensitive
47. A everything B. something C. anything D. nothing
48. A. tried B. arranged C. managed D. prepared
49. A. Panic B. Pain C. Noise D. Stress
50. A. frozen B. dragged C. pushed D. brought
51. A. because B. until C. as D. unless
52. A. smoke B. light C. water D. fire
53. A. cheerful B. strange C. guilty D. confident
54. A. busy B. hungry C. worried D. asleep
55. A. promised B. allowed C. expected D. persuaded
解析：考查固定搭配，tell sb. a story给某人讲故事。
解析：A摇晃，B放置， C弯， D保持。根据意思,Mary在忙完工作后将脚架在沙发上休息。
解析： make a fortune = make much money.赚了大钱，很富。
解析：根据下一句。I’m definitely the best in the world.我一定是世界上最棒的，体现Mary骄傲的心情。
解析：“Nothing seemed to go right. 什么都不对劲。”
解析： A冻住， B拖，拉，拽，C推，D带来。Be frozen to the spot.站在一个地方动不了。
解析：根据后文very burnt bread.可知厨房因为烤焦面包在冒烟。
解析：A承诺， B允许， C期待，D 劝说。Promised sb. never to do sth. 向某人承诺不在做某事了。