从A B C D 四个选项中，选出可以填入空白处地最佳选项，并在答题卡上将该项涂黑。
1. —I’m sorry I didn’t make it to your party last night.
—______, I know you’re busy these days.
A. Of course B. No kidding
C. That’s all night D. Don’t mention it
2. Experts think that ______recently discovered painting may be ______ Picasso.
A. the ;不填 B. a ;the
C. a; 不填 D. the; a
3. Bats are surprisingly long lived creatures some ______a life span of around 20 years.
A. having B. had
C. have D. to have
4. One Friday, we were packing to leave for a weekend away ______my daughter heard cries for help.
A. after B. while
C. since D. when
5. I always wanted to do the job which I’d been trained ______.
A. on B. for
C. by D. of
6. The school isn’t the one I really wanted to go to, but I suppose I’ll just have to ______it,
A. make the best of B. get away from
C. keep an eye on D. catch up with
7. Since people are fond of humor, it is as well in conversation as _______ else.
A. anything B. something
C. anywhere D. somewhere
8. English is a language shared by several diverse cultures, each of ______ uses it somewhat differently.
A. which B. what C. them D. those
9. The professor could tell by the _____ look in Maria’s eyes that she didn’t understand a single word of his lecture.
A. cold B. blank
C. innocent D. fresh
10. A bank is the place ______ they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain.
A. when B. that
C. where D. there
11.—How’s your new babysitter?
—We ______ ask for a better one. All our kids love her so much.
A. should B. might
C. mustn’t D. couldn’t
12. He decided that he would drive all the way home instead of ______ at a hotel for the night.
A. putting down B. putting off
C. putting on D. putting up
13. I’ve been writing this report ______ for the last two weeks, but it has to be handed in tomorrow.
A. finally B. immediately
C. occasionally D. certainly
14. Even the best writers sometimes find themselves ______ for words.
A. lose B. lost
C. to lose D. having lost
15. The manager was worried about the press conference his assistant ______ in his place but, luckily, everything was going on smoothly.
A. gave B. gives
C. was giving D. had given
16. My schedule is very ______ right now, but I’ll try to fit you in.
A. tight B. short
C. regular D. flexible
17. —Can I come and have a look at your new house?
A. with pleasure B. I like it
C. I quite agree D. by all means
18. Anyway, I can’t cheat him --- it’s against all my ______.
A. emotions B. principles
C. regulations D. opinions
19. If they win the final tonight, the team are going to tour around the city ______ by their enthusiastic supporters.
A. being cheered B. be cheered
C. to be cheered D. were cheered
20. —I don’t think I’ll be able to go mountain-climbing tomorrow.
A. And how B. How come
C. How’s it going D. How about it
Although I love my life, it hasn’t been a lot of fun as I’ve been ill for 28 years.
Music has always been a great love of mine and, in my 20s, when my 21 was more manageable , I 22 ten years as a professional singer in restaurants, playing and singing folk songs. 23 that was years ago and times have changed. 24 I live with mother on a country farm.
Two years ago, I decided that I would need to have some kind of extra work to 25 my disability pension (残疾抚恤金). 26 I needed to sleep in the afternoons, I was limited in my 27 . I decided that I would consider 28 to singing in restaurants.
My family are all musicians, so I was 29 when I went into our local music store. I explained that I wanted to sing again but using recorded karaoke music. I knew that discs were very expensive and I really didn’t have a lot of 30 to get started. And 31 you find only three to four songs out of ten on a disc that you can 32 use.
When I told the owner of the shop about my 33 ; he gave me a long thoughtful 34 . “This means a lot to you, doesn’t it?” he said. “Come with me.”
He led me 35 the crowded shop and to a bench with a large professional karaoke box on it. He placed his large hand 36 on his treasure and said, “I have 800 karaoke songs in here. You can take your 37 and I’ll record them for you. That should get you started.”
I 38 . Thanking him, I made a time with him to listen to all the songs and choose 39 that I could sing. I have come full circle with his help.
His 40 still warms my heart and makes me do just that bit extra, when I have the chance.
21. A. loneliness B. sadness
C. tiredness D. sickness
22. A. set B. enjoyed
C. kept D. shared
23. A. Gladly B. Eventually
C. Unfortunately D. Surprisingly
24. A. Now B. Then
C. Sometime D. Meanwhile
25. A. add up to B. make up for
C. get rid of D. take advantage of
26. A. If B. As
C. Though D. Before
27. A. movement B. condition
C. choices D. positions
28. A. reaching out B. living up
C. getting on D. going back
29. A. recognized B. interviewed
C. found D. invited
30. A. money B. time
C. energy D. knowledge
31. A. thus B. once
C. seldom D. often
32. A. actually B. hardly
C. nearly D. formerly
33. A. job B. family
C. idea D. offer
34. A. face B. view
C. look D. sight
35. A. over B. along
C. towards D. through
36. A. unhappily B. lovingly
C. pitifully D. gratefully
37. A. pick B. turn
C. role D. step
38. A. had to cry B. ought to cry
C. should have cried D. could have cried
39. A. more B. the ones
C. few D. the rest
40. A. courage B. devotion
C. kindness D. trust