例: We _____ last night, but we went to the concert instead,
A. must have studied B. might study
C. should have studied D. would study
21. If you ____ go, at least wait until the storm is over.
A. can B. may C. must D. will
22. What are you doing out of bed, Tom? You're ______ to be asleep.
A. supposed B. known C. thought D. considered
23. Twenty students want to attend the class that aims to teach_____ to read first.
A. what B. who C. how D. why
24. You are old enough to ____ your own living.
A.win B. gain C. take D. earn
25. No matter how ____ , it is not necessarily lifeless.
A. a desert may be dry B. dry a desert may be
C. may a desert be dry D. dry may a desert be
26. The exam results will be ____ on Friday afternoon.
A. put down B. put off C. put up D. put away
27.- Would you like tea or coffee?
- _____ , thank you. I've just had some water.
A. Either B. Both C. Any D. Neither
28. I'll go to the library as soon as I finish what I ______.
A. was doing B. am doing
C. have done D. had been doing
29. He had no sooner finished his speech ______ the students started cheering.
A. since B. as C. when D. than
30. ______ around the fire, the tourists danced with the local people.
A. Gather B. To gather
C. Gathering D. To be gathering
31. Bring the flowers into a warm room ______ they'll soon open.
A. or B. and C. but D. for
32. When the news came _____ the war broke out, he decided, to serve in the army.
A. since B. which C. that D. because
33. ______ a strange plant! I've never seen it before.
A. Which B. What C. How D. Whether
34. By the time Jack returned home from England, his son. _____ from college.
A. graduated B. has graduated
C. had been D. had graduated
35.- I probably shouldn't have any more cake.
-Oh, ______. It won't kill you.
A. go ahead B. hold on, please
C. you're welcome D. that'll do
36. A. cousin B. daughter C. grandson D. nephew
37. A. friends B. parents C. classmates D. brothers
38. A. presented B. annoyed C. confused D. occupied
39. A. entering B. dividing C. sticking D. drawing
40. A. anyhow B. though C. again D. therefore
41. A. guess B. choose C. pay D. see
42. A. sweets B. toys C. clothes D. books
43. A. pleased B. disturbed C. accepted D. disappointed
44. A. surprised B. hopeful C. patient D. excited
45. A. after B. until C. unless D. since
46. A. shock B. trouble C. peace D. time
47. A. happily B. eagerly C. cautiously D. quickly
48. A. on his own B. in his way C. now and then D. more or less
49. A. drag B. rest. C. lay D. step
50. A. 8shamed B. angry C. worried D. doubtful
51.A. about B. to C. at D. across
52. A. young ladies B. new customers C. loving parents D. small boys
53. A. figure B. actor C. man D. doll
54.A. on time B. at once C. just now D. once again
55.A. policeman B. spaceman C. caveman D. postman