1. Raining cats and dogs
1.倾盆大雨

pouring, raining very heavily
倾盆大雨

Where are you going, can’t you see it’s raining cats and dogs? You’ll get soaked in a minute if you go out now.
你要去哪里,你看不到下着倾盆大雨吗?如果你现在出去的话,一分钟内你就会全身湿透的。

They didn’t go to the theme park because it was raining cats and dogs almost all day.
他们没有去主题公园,因为几乎一整天都在下雨。

2. Face like thunder
2.火冒三丈

being clearly very angry or upset
火冒三丈

I don’t know what was happening, I just saw that a man with a face like thunder was chasing a little boy out of the grocer’s shop.
我不知道发生了什么事,我只是看到一个火冒三丈的男人正在从杂货店追一个小男孩。

She didn’t say anything but her face was like thunder; she slammed the door as she left, and we haven’t seen her ever since.
她什么也没说,但她火冒三丈;她离开时砰地关上了门,从此我们再也没见过她了。

3. Storm in a teacup
3.小题大做

exaggerating a problem, anger or worry about something unimportant
夸大问题或担忧,小题大做

Their debate was only a storm in a teacup – actually neither of them took the problem too serious.
他们的辩论不过是小题大做而已——事实上,他们两人都没有把问题看得太严肃。

The reports about the demonstration are a storm in a teacup – there wasn’t as much violence there as they say.
关于示威游行的报道简直是小题大做——那里没有他们所说的那么多暴力。

4. Chase rainbows
4.痴人说梦

waste time trying to achieve something impossible
形容一个人净想好事,而且是不太可能的事。

My wife never believed I would make it as an executive manager; she always thought I was just chasing rainbows.
我妻子从不相信我会成为一名执行经理;她总是认为我只是在痴人说梦。

Can’t you see you’re only chasing rainbows? There’s no way to get this girl marry you.
难道你看不到你只是在痴人说梦吗?这个根本不会女孩嫁给你。

5. Lightning fast
5.快如闪电

extremely fast
非常快

I don’t think we can keep up with him, he’s got a lightning fast bike.
我想我们跟不上他,他有一辆闪电般快的自行车。

The robbery lasted only a minute, and then the robbers disappeared in a lightning fast car.
抢劫只持续了一分钟,然后强盗消失在一辆闪电般快速的汽车里。

6. Head in the clouds
6.胡思乱想

having unrealistic or impractical ideas, daydreaming
有不切实际或不切实际的想法,白日梦

Is your sister in love? I see her walking around all day with her head in the clouds.
你妹妹恋爱了吗?我看见她整天在那走来走去,胡思乱想。

You have your head in the clouds if you think Mary will come to your birthday party after the nasty things you’ve done to her.
如果你认为玛丽会在你对她所做的坏事之后参加你的生日聚会,那你就大错特错了。

7. Snowed under
7.手头繁忙

having too much to do
要做的事太多

I’d love to help you, but I’m completely snowed under at the moment.
我很乐意帮助你,但我现在完全被雪覆盖了。

Could you come over and fix the tap in the bathroom? But of course, only if you aren’t snowed under, it’s not so urgent.
你能来浴室修理一下水龙头吗?但是当然,如果你不忙的时候再来,不是很紧急。

8. Under the weather
8.心情不好或身体不适

ill, sick, feeling unwell, sad or lacking energy
生病,感觉不舒服、悲伤或缺乏活力

Do you mind if I stay out of work today? I’m feeling under the weather, I may have the flu.
你介意我今天不上班吗?我感觉不舒服,我可能得了流感。

I heard you were ill yesterday. Are you feeling better now or are you still under the weather?
我听说你昨天病了。你现在感觉好点了还是还不舒服?