On the last night of the trip
那是一次旅行中的最后一天

I had about an hour's daylight left for a ride
太阳还有大概一小时就要下山了,我还有时间最后出游一趟

so I took off and headed for the back side of the lake about 4 miles from camp
于是我驱车启程,向宿营地大约4公里外的湖区后岸边驶去。

as I come around a corner
当我驶过一个转角

and I'm suddenly engulfed in a cloud of dust
我突然被一阵尘雾笼罩

but I can see well enough to make out tire tracks
不过我还是能清楚的看到两条轮胎印

going from the middle of the road then around the corner .
从马路中间驶到了拐角处

as I proceed with caution around the corner.
我小心的转过拐角

I see a truck has just went off the road
我明白过来,有辆车刚才开到了路边
 

and hit a fir tree just behind the driver's door
右前门撞在一棵冷杉树上

then it spun around back on the road
又被弹回了大路上

and it looks like the driver must have had his foot mashed on the accelerator  
看起来,司机准是一脚踩在了加速器上

because there are two black burnouts leading off the edge of the road and down the bank.
因为我发现两条焦黑的车辙,从路边一直延伸到湖岸

What comes into view is a red full size truck.
一辆大型卡车出现在我眼前

The truck is bent to a 45-degree angle
车身扭曲成45°角

The driver was hanging half way out his window unconscious
司机的上半身从车窗里探出来,已经陷入昏迷 

and I didn't see any one else in the truck.
我没看到其他人在卡车上

There was no blood running off of him
司机身上没有明显的血迹
 

and that is always a good sign.
这总是一个好兆头

I grab his hair and turn his face towards me,
我揪住他的头发,让他的脸抬起来对着我

not a scratch ,
脸上没有擦伤

I pulled off a glove and checked for a pulse,
我又脱下一只手套,检查他的脉搏
 

he had a good one and he was breathing.
脉搏强健有力,可见他呼吸顺畅

My guess he is about 25 years old, physically fit,
我猜他大约25岁,身体健康 

smelled like he had been drinking all day,
闻起来好像一整天都在喝酒


I hear this rustling in the bushes on the other side of the truck
这时我听到卡车另一边的树丛里有沙沙的响声

 so I climbed over the hood of the truck
于是我从卡车的引擎盖爬了过去 

and dropped down the other side
来到卡车另一边 

I was expecting to see a dog,
我以为自己会看到一条小狗 

he looked like the kind of guy that would have a dog.
因为司机看上去像一个会养狗的人

Evidently, he was the kind of guy that had a girlfriend.
没想到,他却是个喂狗粮的人

About 10 ft. down the bank
沿着河岸下行10英尺 

I see this blond girl in her early twenty's
我看到了那个满头金发的女孩,大约20岁出头

clawing her way out of the bushes
她正从灌木丛里爬出来

I can see that she has no broken bones
我发现她身上没有骨折
 

but she had blood running from a cut at the bridge of her nose
但是鼻子边缘有一条伤口正在流血 

and a big cut on her knee that wasn't bleeding yet.
膝盖上还有一处大伤口,已经没有流血了

As I help her to the road
我扶着她走到路边
 

prince charming comes to
她的那位白马王子突然清醒过来
 

and flops out the window to the ground
从车窗里翻出来,摔倒在地上


babbling about his girlfriend
絮絮叨叨的说着女票的事情
 

I ask the girl his name and get this she says Jay.
我问女孩他叫什么名字,女孩说,他叫Jay。

I yelled she is ok Jay we are on the road.
我对男孩喊道,她没事,我们回到公路上了

It will be dark as a cave in thirty minutes,
半小时之内,天色就会黑的如同山洞

 the truck is not going any ware without a wrecker
到时候,没有救险车,这辆卡车肯定哪儿都去不了

and neither of them have life treating injuries.
而且,这两个人身上都没有致命伤

I thought about it for a minute
我思考了大约一分钟 

and said to them
然后对他们说 

look as of now no calls have been made;
现在为止,还没有人打电话报警或求助

the nearest fire station is no less than twenty minutes from here.
最近的消防站只有不到20分钟的车程 

If they show up and Jay is here he is going to jail for sure.
如果消防警来到这里,看到Jay这幅样子,他一定会蹲监狱

If you don't want that to happen
如果你们不希望事情变成这样
 

then we have to get one of your friends to come and gather him up.
那么我们即必须联系到你们的朋友,好把Jay拖走

I figure you have about 45 minutes max
我想他们最多还有45分钟时间

and that is if none comes buy.
如果有人经过,那就更糟糕了

So see if you can get someone and I hand her the phone.
看看你们能不能找到人帮忙吧,我把电话交给了她

He has no clue at the moment how big a gamble it is for me
男孩毫无所知的是,此刻我正冒着极大的风险 

because if he don't wake up tomorrow
明天他醒来的时候

and realize he got a second chance,
或许会意识到自己曾经得到了一次重头来过的机会

 then jail was ware he might have learned what needed changing and I made the wrong call.
又或许,如果今天他打错电话,就会被逮捕,在铁栏杆里反思自己需要改正之处

I will tell you this I trust my instincts completely
我想告诉里,我对自己的直觉非常信任
 

and I felt I was doing the right thing.
当时我感到自己正在做一件正确的事情
 

These two were not a couple
他们不是一对夫妻
 

but they were defiantly in love with each other
但他们的确深爱对方

and I could tell he was a hard working kid by looking at his hands.
而且当我看到他的手掌的时候,我就知道,他是个勤劳的好孩子。

That said she tells me a friend is on their way from their campsite 20 minutes away.
这时女孩告诉我,他们的一位朋友已经出发在路上了,他在距此处20分钟车程的宿营地

I said great,
我说那太好了

she said OMG thank you so much..
她说,天呐,太感谢你了

I said to her well I am counting on it for both your sakes
我告诉她,我相信他们两个人,所以才愿意冒此风险

 but the clock is ticking
可是时间一分一秒的过去了 

so I gathered up all the liquor ,
我把所有的酒瓶都收拾好

put it in the cooler
把它们都放进车载冰箱
 

and took it into the woods ware I covered it up.
放到树林中掩藏了起来

It is now dark and getting cold.
现在天已经黑了,气温越来越低

I made him get a coat on
我让男孩去穿上外套
  

and she found some sweats to put on.
她也找到了一件套头衫穿上了

It had been 30 minutes
30分钟过去了 

and they called saying they couldn't find the place,
女孩说的朋友打来了电话,说他们找不到这个地方

I went and found their friends brought them in.
我开车去找到了女孩的朋友,把他们带到了女孩身边。
 

They got Jay in the car where he passed out thank god.
他们一起把Jay抬到了车上,正好Jay晕了过去,谢天谢地。 

I waited until fire showed up.
我等在原地,直到消防警察出现了

She gave me her business card with her number on the back.
那位女警官递给我一张名片,名片背后写着她的电话号码。

I wished her luck and took off.
我祝她好运,接着就开车离开了。

A couple weeks later, I called to see how they were doing.
几个星期之后,我打电话给女孩,问他们情况如何。 

She said that it all worked as planned,
她说一切都很顺利
 

she got 18 stitches in her knee,
她膝盖上的伤口缝了18针,

Jay was making the best of his seconded chance
Jay很珍惜他获得的第二次机会
 

and they are getting married.
而且他们就快要结婚了
 

she said this may sound strange
她说,你也许会觉得奇怪
 

but we are closer than before the accident.
可是,她和他的关系比这次事故之前还要亲密
 

I said nah that isn't strange at all
我说,没有,这一点也不奇怪
 

that is what I meant when I said you could turn this thing around.
我曾告诉你,你们一定可以转运,当时我指的就是这个

Good for both of you and thanks for doing the right thing.
你们俩都值得夸奖,谢谢你们做了正确的事情。