The twain cantered along for some time without speech, Tess as she clung to him still panting in her triumph, yet in other respects dubious. She had perceived that the horse was not the spirited one he sometimes rode, and felt no alarm on that score, though her seat was precarious enough despite her tight hold of him. She begged him to slow the animal to a walk, which Alec accordingly did.
他们两个骑着马慢慢向前跑了一阵,谁也没有说话,苔丝一直搂着他,由于战胜了对手,心里还在怦怦直跳,不过在其它方面,她心里却有些疑虑。她看见他们骑的这匹马不是他有时候骑的那匹烈性马,所以她并不感到慌张,虽然她紧紧地搂着他还是有些坐不稳。她请他让马慢下来,改跑为走,亚历克照着办了。

'Neatly done, was it not, dear Tess?' he said by and by.
“走得干净利落,是不是,亲爱的苔丝?”他过了一会儿说。

'Yes!' said she. 'I am sure I ought to be much obliged to you.'
“不错!”苔丝说。“我觉得我应当非常感激你。”

'And are you?'
“你真的非常感激我吗?”

She did not reply.
她没有回答。

'Tess, why do you always dislike my kissing you?'
“苔丝,为什么你老是讨厌我吻你?”

'I suppose - because I don't love you.'
“我想——因为我不爱你。”

'You are quite sure?'
“你敢肯定吗?”

'I am angry with you sometimes!'
“有时候我还生你的气呢!”

'Ah, I half feared as much.' Nevertheless, Alec did not object to that confession. He knew that anything was better than frigidity. 'Why haven't you told me when I have made you angry?'
“哦,我早就担心会是这样的了。”虽然如此,亚历克并没有因为她的自白而反驳她。他明白,她无论什么态度总比她冷冰冰的好。“那我惹你生气的时候,你为什么不告诉我呢?”

'You know very well why. Because I cannot help myself here.'
“这个你自己清楚得很。因为在这儿由不得我自己呀。”

'I haven't offended you often by love-making?'
“我向你求爱,并没有常常故意惹你生气啊?”

'You have sometimes.'
“有时候你就是惹我生气。”

'How many times?'
“有多少次呀?”