26. Both Mary and Ellen, as well as Jan, _______ studying Chinese History.
A. are B. is C. are being D. is being
27. I’d like to _______ him to you for the job. He is a very clever and industrious boy.
A. refer B. suggest C. recommend D. propose
28. It ______ that 200 people died and over 5,000 lost their shelters after the flood.
A. reported B. reports C. has been reported D. has reported
29. He was asked to speak louder ______ all the other students in the classroom could hear him.
A. as B. so as to C. so that D. so as
30. His report on the space exploration was really ________.
A. exciting B. excited C. excitement D. excitedly
31. Your chair needs _______.
A. to repair B. repairing C. to repairing D. being repair
32. I hate to see papers _______ in pencil.
A. writing B. to write C. written D. write
33. The job made her dependent _______ her husband.
A. on B. from C. of D. to
34. This is the second time she ______ improvement on that equipment.
A. had made B. made C. is making D. has made
35. He spoke so quickly that I did not ______ what he said.
A. catch B. accept C. take D. listen
36. _______determines a good meal varies from country to country.
A. What B. That C. It D. Which
37. As the journey was a long one, he took a friend with him for ________.
A. pleasure B. entertainment C. company D. defence
38. I suggest _______ for an outgoing this Sunday.
A. us going B. we are going C. to go D. our going
39. We’ve ______ sugar. Ask him to lend us some.
A. run away with B. run down C. run off D. run out of
40. It was in 1930 _______ he became a university student.
A. when B. that C. which D. and
41. I am very _______ to you for your help.
A. grateful B. agreeable C. pleased D. thanks
42. You _______ go now. It’s very late.
A. had rather B. prefer to C. had better D. would rather
43. If I were you, I would take it easy, _______ is no need to be nervous.
A. it B. this C. there D. which
44. Why not _______ me earlier?
A. to tell B. tell C. telling D. told
45. Joe’s handwriting is ________ Mary’s.
A. more better B. as well as C. much better than D. more better than
46. The experiment _______ the discovery of a cure for cancer.
A. happened to B. led up C. resulted in D. set up
47. To produce one pound of honey, a colony of bees must fly a distance _______ to twice around the world.
A. similar B. equal C. compared D. corresponding
48. I did not mean ____ anything, but those apples looked so good I couldn’t resist ___one.
A. to eat…trying B. to eat…to trying C. eating…to try D. eating…to trying
49. I had hardly sat down _______ he stepped in.
A. when B. that C. until D. after
50. In his time he enjoyed a reputation _______.
A. as great as Mozart, if not greater than B. as great as, if not greater than, Mozart
C. as great, if not greater, as Mozart D. greater, if not as great as Mozart