Ⅰ. Phonetics (10 points)
In each of the following groups of words, there are four underlined letter combinations marked A, B, C and D. Compare the underlined parts and identify the one that is different from the others in pronunciation. Mark your answer by blackening the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet.
1.A. club B. tomb C. comb D. climb
2.A. food B. cool C. school D. flood
3.A. town B. how C. down D. snow
4.A. each B. peach C. break D. deal
5.A. hear B. fear C. dear D. wear
6.A. receive B. friend C. field D. piece
7.A. question B. notion C. exception D. vocation
8.A. exhaust B. exercise C. exam D. exact
9.A. where B. what C. whose D. white
10.A. switch B. hatch C. character D. match
Ⅱ. Vocabulary and Structure (40 points)
There are 40 incomplete sentences in this section. For each sentence there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose one answer that best completes the sentence and blacken the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet.
11. Today is Jenny’s wedding day. She _______ to Thomas.
A. just has got married B. has just married
C. was just married D. has just got married
12. Every officer and every soldier _______ obey the rules.
A. had to B. have to C. has to D. must have to
13. Rarely _______ so difficult a problem.
A. she could have faced with B. could have she faced with
C. she could have been faced with D. could she have been faced with
14. ______ a dog on the road, the car stopped.
A. Having seen B. On seeing C. The driver seeing D. Seeing
15. I asked my teacher _______.
A. what courses should I take B. should I take what courses
C. I should take what courses D. what courses I should take
16. Comrade Li promised to help us and he said he would come ______.
A. right away B. all at once C. all of a sudden D. all right
17. There aren’t many pandas ________ in the world today.
A. alive B. living C. lively D. lived
18. Such electron tubes ________ in a radio set are also found in a TV set.
A. that we use B. as we use C. as we use them D. that we use them
19. It _______ to me that he was jealous.
A. happened B. took C. occurred D. felt
20. One of the requirements for a fire is that the material ______ to its burning temperature.
A. were heated B. must be heated C. is heated D. be heated
21. Please ______ me at the station on time.
A. meeting B. to meet C. meet D. met
22. _______ “hello”, he reached out his hand.
A. Said B. Saying C. To say D. Say
23. People are more _______ to spend money on goods with an attractive look than those without.
A. attracted B. tempted C. persuaded D. tended
24. It was ______ he saw the doctor coming out of the emergeney room with an expression as grave as a judge _______ he realized the seriousness of his wife’s illness.
A. not until…that B. after…when C. until…then D. before…that
25. Please telephone me half an hour _______.
A. in charge B. in advance C. in time D. in front