Part IV Cloze (10%)
Directions: There are 20 blanks in the following passage, and for each blank there are 4 choices marked A, B, C and D at the end of the passage. You should choose ONE answer that best fits into the passage. Then blacken the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet.
We have quite a bit of information about ancient Egyptian medicine. Doctors’ instructions have been found to tell us __56___ they did for the sick and the injured. __57___ many of the treatments included magic, ancient Egyptians used plant leaves and other methods to treat many __58___.
Religion, magic and medicine were __59___ related in ancient Egypt. Some priests (牧师) were specially__60___ as doctors to __61___ the sick and the injured. Doctors were held to a high moral standard. Patients was treated with __62___ and their __63___ information was highly secret. The highest-ranking doctors were priests of the goddess Sekhmet, ___64__ controlled illnesses. Doctors spent a part each year __65___ the goddess. Doctors were thought to be ___66__ to the gods and able to ask them for healing。
Temples were centers for healing. __67___ a person was ill, he or she would come to the temple or __68___ a doctor for a diagnosis (诊断). A(n) __69___ problem was not __70___, the diagnosis would be that the illness was caused by an evil spirit or curse. The doctor would use magic spells to __71___ a cure. __72___, a diagnosis could not be reached. __73___ this case, a patient would be told to rest for a period of time __74___ another examination could be __75___.
56. A. that B. why C. what D. which
57. A. When B. Although C. Since D. After
58. A. damages B. diseases C. disasters D. destructions
59. A. hardly B. closely C. mainly D. shortly
60. A. trained B. designed C. planed D. studied
61. A. look to B. come to C. care for D. search for
62. A. reputation B. respect C. fame D. inspection
63. A. ill B. own C. hidden D. personal
64. A. that B. which C. who D. what
65. A. serving B. reading C. learning D. following
66. A. careful B. generous C. mean D. close
67. A. Before B. When C. Until D. Since
68. A. think over B. apply to C. call for D. make up
69. A. serious B. internal C. odd D. obvious
70. A. discovered B. treated C. cured D. aroused
71. A. bring about B. set out C. insist on D. make up
72. A. Subsequently B. Consequently C. Occasionally D. Hopefully
73. A. With B. In C. For D. On
74. A. until B. when C. although D. because
75. A. decided B. performed C. carried D. discussed
Part Ⅴ Translation (20%)
Directions: In this part, there are five sentences which you should translate into Chinese. These sentences are all taken from the 3 passages you have just read in the part of Reading Comprehension. You can refer back to the passages so as to identify their meanings in the context。
76. Previous studies have shown the longer the mom breastfeeds, the more benefit for her body.
77. It was because he was in a very watery environment, safe from the bacteria that need oxygen to live.
78. His hands and fingernails suggested that he hadn’t done heavy manual work in this life—he could have been a rich man.
79. After spending a few minutes on a crowded city street, the brain is less able to hold things in memory, and suffers from reduced self-control.
80. The good news is that even slight alterations, such as planting more trees in the inner city or creating urban parks with a greater variety of plants, can significantly reduce the negative side effects of city life。
Directions: In this part there are five sentences in Chinese. You should translate them into English. Be sure to write clearly。