Paper One (90 minutes)
Part I. Vocabulary and Structure (10 points; 15 minutes)
Directions: Each of the following sentences is provided with four choices. Choose the one that best completes the sentence. Then blacken the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet.
1. As preparations were not completed in time, the conference had to be __________ till the next Tuesday.
A. put away B. cancelled
C. put aside D. postponed
2. ___________ with the size of the whole earth, the highest mountain does not seem high at all.
A. When compared B. Compare
C. While comparing D. Comparing
3. It’s only a short way to the station, so we might as __________ walk.
A. good B. now
C. quick D. well
4. Liquids are like solids __________they have a definite volume.
A. in that B. for that
C. with that D. at that
5. Since she can speak Japanese fluently, she has an advantage __________ other job applicants.
A. to B. in
C. over D. against
6. Yesterday’s English examination looked simple, but it turned out to be __________ easy.
A. nothing but B. everything but
C. something but D. anything but
7. It was raining hard, but by the time class was over, the rain __________.
A. stopped B. would stop
C. had stopped D. might have stopped
8. “Perhaps you should go home now.” “No, I __________ on staying here for a while longer.”
A. persist B. stick
C. sit D. insist
9. Hardly __________to the bus stop when the bus suddenly pulled away.
A. did they get B. they had got
C. they got D. had they got
10. It is necessary that the plan __________ before Thursday.
A. were fulfilled B. was fulfilled
C. be fulfilled D. would be fulfilled
11. Not only __________ our money, but we were also in danger of losing our lives.
A. we lost B. lost we
C. did we lose D. we did lose
12. I __________ a doctor now, if I had studied medical science in my youth.
A. were B. should be
C. had been D. should have been
13. I knocked at the door several times __________an elderly lady came to answer it.
A. before B. after
C. unless D. then
14.He seemed very young, but __________he was older than all of us.
A. in nature B. in reality
C. by nature D. in origin
15. You may not have played very well today, but at least you’ve got through to the
next round and __________.
A. tomorrow never comes B. tomorrow is another day
C. never put off till tomorrow D. there is no tomorrow
16. It has been said that in no country __________ Britain can one experience four seasons in the course of a single day.
A. other than B. more than
C. better than D. rather than
17. __________ you are familiar with the author’s ideas, try to read all the sections as quickly as you possibly can.
A. Now that B. Ever since
C. So that D. As long as
18. —Tom is so worried about the test that he said he was going to study all night.
—Tell him he should quit __________ and get some help.
A. to have worried B. to worry
C. worrying D. from worrying
19. The trees __________ in the storm have been moved off the road.
A. being blown down B. blown down
C. blowing down D. to blow down
20. The boy the teachers considered __________ failed in the final exam, __________ surprised them very much.
A. to be the best; which B. as the best student; that
C. to have been studying well; it D. such as a good student; which