大城市 小世界

一个城市容纳了来自世界的各色人等,那她不是一个大城市吗?形形色色的人物聚集在这世界的一隅,那她不是一个小世界吗?因为英语,我们所生活的这个世界缩小了。一系列亲情、友情、爱情的温馨故事,就在这其中上演。《大城市小世界》是一系列温馨的故事,在会心地欣赏漫画的同时,还会学到地道的英语口语表达法。

今天的内容是这个故事的第二集,Johnny找到了一份自己的新工作,打算怂恿Harry跳槽到他们公司,究竟Harry是拒绝了这份高薪工作还是执着于老东家,让我们一起进入今天的对话,共同找寻答案。

更多《大城市小世界》精彩内容请点此处

场景一

Harry:So how are things going, mate?
哈里:近况如何,老兄?

Johhny:Good, things are good. I'm really enjoying my job. Lots of work, but I'll be rich in three years.
卓尼:不错,都挺好的。我很喜欢现在这份工作。尽管工作很多,但三年后我就会很富有的。

how are things going? 是口语中询问朋友近况如何的一句常用表达法。

场景二

Harry:You work all the time. I don't know how you manage it. You should take a break some time. Come and play football with me!
哈里:你总是在不停地工作。我不知道你怎么能应付过来。你应该花些时间放松一下。过来和我一起玩足球吧!
 

场景三

Johhny:Too busy, mate, too busy. Venture capital, it's so excited right now. All the opportunities opening up in China and I'm here to make the most of it!
卓尼:老兄,我太忙,太忙了。对我来说,风险投资太刺激了。中国现在已开放了很多机会,我想趁此好好利用一下它们。

Johhny:You should think about changing your job, Harry, get a piece of the action.
卓尼:哈里,你应该考虑更换你的工作,从中获取一些利益。

get a piece of the action  表示“从中获益”。

场景四

Harry:You are right, I'm always thinking about changing jobs. But I only know about computers, nothing else.
哈里:你说的有道理,我一直在考虑换工作,但除了计算机,我一无所知。

场景五

Johhny:There are lost of computer experts around. You need to specialise.
卓尼:现在已经有很多的计算机专家了,你应该有主攻的方向。

Harry:Perhaps you are right. But I really like my job.
哈里:或许你是对的,但我现在真的很喜欢这份工作。

场景六

Johhny:Is the money good?
卓尼:待遇很好吗?

Harry:Not bad.
哈里:不差。

Johhny:but not good?
卓尼:那就是不好了?

Is the money good? 是询问工资待遇的一个口语表达法。

场景七

Harry:Well, I could find a job that pays more, but I would enjoy less.
哈里:我可以找到薪水更高的工作,但是我并不会这么快乐了。

Johhny:You could come and work for our company!
卓尼:你应该来我们公司!

Harry:Hmmm, is that an offer?
哈里:这算是一个邀请吗?

场景八

Johhny:Yes, I'm serious! Listen, I'll have a word with the human resources people tomorrow.
卓尼:是的,我是很认真的。听着,明天我将会和人事部的工作人员简单谈一下。

Johhny:I know there are some vacancies at the moment in the IT team.
You'd easily get it. Have to go now, see you soon.
卓尼:我知道此时IT 部门有有些空缺岗位。对你来说将会很容易的。我现在不得不走了,再见啊。

Harry:Yeah, cheers mate, see you soon.
哈里:好的,谢谢老兄了,再见。 

have a word with sb 是指和某人进行一个简单的交流
cheers 在口语中用来表示谢谢,经常替代thanks或thank you