Played a festival over the weekend.
周末我去为一个音乐节表演

Listened to the drummer from the band
我听到一个乐队鼓手打鼓的声音

who went on before us from the side of the stage
他在我们之前,从舞台的侧面上场

and I got a bit discouraged.
我感到有些挫败

He was a rock drummer
他是一个非常出色的鼓手

so he had great power
他的力道非常卓越

and a lot of super fast around the kit rolls,
还有一些速度非常快的花哨打法

two things I struggle with.
这两点都让我十分不安

Only saw his hands and feet
我只能看到他的双手双脚
 

they were fast as flying.
他们的速度如此之快,简直就像在飞翔

I got on,
我上场了

started playing
我开始表演

and someone in the front row kept cheering me on,
坐在前排的某个人一直在为我加油

yelling compliments .
呼喊着夸赞之词

I got offstage
我从台上下来

the guy came up to me,
那个人来到我面前

started giving more compliments,
又开始赞美我

Didn't think much of it
我并没有想太多

till 10 minutes later
直到10分钟之后

he says goodbye to me
他对我说再见

and he's carrying a cymbal bag.
我看到他背起了一个镲片包

It was the same guy I was listening to earlier
原来他就是之前演奏时被我听到的那个人

and was discouraged by me
原来他也因为我感到了挫败

but I never saw his face so I never knew.
我没有看到他的脸,所以绝没有想到会是这样

The lesson is
这件事的教训是

we tend to undervalue what we do
我们倾向于不相信自己的实力

because we hear ourselves do it all the time
因为我们总在听自己演奏的声音

so to us it ain't good.
所以我们总觉得不够好

But to someone else,
可是对于别的人来说

it may be something exotic and virtuosic .
或许这样的表演别有韵味,技艺卓越

Do what you do
做好自己

and the only real competition is yourself."
真正的较量,就是战胜自己。