《Nikita》S02E03笔记:自由不是别人施与的,是自己争取的
作者:沪江英语
来源:沪江英语
2011-10-24 09:00
1、He is not a public servant. He is a public enemy.
他不是人民公仆,而是人民公敌。
人民公仆;政府官员
公敌
e.g: His views made him public enemy number one in the eyes of the media.
他的观点让他成了媒体的眼中钉。
2、Freedom isn't given, it is taken.
自由不是别人施与的,是自己争取的。
something isn't given, it is taken.
某事不是别人施与的,而是自己争取的。我们可以把这句话套用在别的地方。
e.g: Happiness isn't given, it is taken.
幸福不是别人施与的,而是自己争取的。
3、I knew where I stood with him, so to speak.
可以说,我知道我俩是统一战线的。
可以说;就是说;恕我直言
e.g: Your computer is, so to speak, in danger once being connected to the network to browse.
一旦连接上网测览,你的电脑可以说就处于危险之中了。
4、On the mend, I hope.
希望你痊愈。
be on the mend=be recovering
正在好转;正在痊愈
e.g: He's had flu, but he's on the mend.
他得了流感,不过正在好转。
5、It's safer if you go native and tap into the grid on the ground.
你们装做本地人慢慢接近他们会更安全些。
接近;开发,发掘
e.g: helping people tap into training opportunities
帮助人们接触到更多的培训机会
6、On the bright side, all of our facilities are handicap accessible.
往好处想,我们的设备都方便残疾人使用。
乐观点;往好处想。台词中作状语把look省略了。
e.g: Come on, try to look on the bright side.
拜托,还是往好处想吧。
7、You have to call off the hit.
你就只能取消这次暗杀。
取消;命令...中止;命令...离开
e.g: The trip to Italy might be called off.
去意大利的行程估计被取消了。
8、—What about the predator?
—No dice. I tried hacking that too.
—No dice. I tried hacking that too.
—"掠夺者"无人机能攻破吗?
—没可能,我也试过了。
—没可能,我也试过了。
没门;不可能;徒劳的
e.g: 'Can I borrow some cash?' 'Sorry, no dice.'
“我能借点钱么?” “不好意思,没门。”
9、I, for one, don't think she can make it. But you can.
这次我觉得她救不了你,但你能自救。
I, for one, ...
依我看来...;从我的立场看...
e.g: I, for one, am proud of the team's effort.
就我而言,我为团队的努力而骄傲。
10、Alex, pull back. It's too dangerous.
艾丽克丝,收手吧,太危险了。
撤回;使恢复
e.g: In the end, he pulled back from financing the film.
最后,他不再为这部电影投资。