Due to the rapid development of communication networks, the number of smartphone users in China has been increasing at an alarming rate in recent years. This has dramatically changed a host of people’s ways of reading. Instead of purchasing traditional newspapers, now, they frequently read news and articles on their smartphones. The development of a considerable number of mobile apps enables people to read novels and other forms of literature works on their mobile phones. Thus, the sale of paper books has been influenced/affected/impacted. However, a survey demonstrates/shows that despite the steady/stable growth of the mobile phone reading market, over half of adults still prefer reading paper books.
Directions: For this part, you are allowed 30 minutes to write a short essay on the challenges of living in a big city. You should write at least 120 words but no more than 180 words.
A considerable number of people, youngsters in particular, prefer living in big cities. After all, big cities may bring them more and better job opportunities to help them fulfill their potential.
However, there are certain challenges for those who choose to reside in large cities, especially metropolis like Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou and Shenzhen. To begin with, because of fierce competition, average citizens in big cities tend to suffer greater mental pressure, which is a common phenomenon. In addition, though most people can gain better salaries in big cities than those in small towns, they find it still hard to afford an apartment, due to the excessively high housing price. Finally, it is the large population in big cities that results in other challenges in daily life. A case in point is the road congestion. No one in big cities deems it comfortable to take the rush-hour subway, which is usually too crowded.
I, as a youngster, deem that it is of great necessity for us to face these challenges with courage, provided that we intend to work or live in large cities. Every one should bear in mind that any challenge means an opportunity to enhance ourselves. (200词)
26. F) damage (损害)
27. B) associated (与……有联系)
28. M) sources (来源)
29. D) constant (不断的)
30. G) described (描述)
31. E) control (控制)
32. H) equals (等于)
33. K) regularly (经常)
34. I) exclusively (专门地；排外地)
35. O) vehicles (车辆)
36 paragraph D: Nadeau says sugar and …
37 paragraph B: Scott is delighted to get …
38 paragraph G: In southern California, …
39 paragraph A: Several times a month, …
40 paragraph I: Many people don’t know …
41 paragraph F: In the big picture, …
42 paragraph C: Nadean notices the pre-made…
43 paragraph J: Studies have explored evidence…
44 paragraph E: Nadean is a part of …
45 paragraph G: In southern California, …
46 B By drawing water from the depths of the earth.
47 B It was not considered worth the expense.
48 A The sinking of land surface.
49 D They provide a steady supply of fresh water.
50 C The cost may go up dye to desalination.
51 D Computers can become highly intelligent.
52 C They make sensible decision when facing moral dilemmas.
53 B How to ensure that super-intelligent AI machines act ethically.
54 A She could not distinguish good from bad.
55 C It will prove to be an asset to human beings.
1. D) A man was pulled to safety after a building collapse.
2. B) He was collecting building materials.
3. C) Change British people’s negative view of maths.
4. A) Primary school teachers understand basic maths concepts.
5. D) He held a part-time job for over 20 years.
6. A) He can change his focus of attention and relax.
7. B) They rarely recognised him.
8. A) They saw a business opportunity there.
9. D) Provide quality furniture at affordable prices.
10.B) They all come from Romania.
11. C) All across Europe.
12. C) Try out a new restaurant together in town.
13. A) It provides information on local events.
14. B) They go to eat at different stylish restaurants.
15. D) This year’s Restaurant Week will start soon.
16. B) Exposing them to vegetables repeatedly.
17. D) They were disliked most by children.
18. C) Children’s eating habits can be changed.
19. A) A lot of garbage has been left on the moon.
20. C) It is costly to bring back.
21. D) Study the effect of radiation and vacuum on its materials.
22. D) It is likely to remain a means of business communication.
23. A) Make a timely response.
24. B) It requires no reply.
25. C) Avoid using capitals for emphasis.