新视野大学英语读写教程2课后答案Unit 4 ATest of True Love
Comprehension of the Text
1. He was waiting to see a woman who had filled a special place in his life for the past thirteen months.
2. Soon after he volunteered for military service, he received a book and a letter from this woman.
3. John Blandford was the only person to write her back.
4. She had faithfully written to John. Even when his letters did not arrive, she wrote anyway, without decrease.
5. As long as he received her letters, he felt as thought he could survive.
6. She declined his request and explained her objection.
7. Yes, but she had asked a lady well over forty to wear the rose on her coat.
8. She wanted to make sure that John didn’t love her just for her beauty.
1. forbid 2. identical 3. objection 4. warmth 5. volunteers
6. overseas 7. declined 8. resisted 9. fancy 10. decrease/decline
1. without fail 2. volunteer for 3. as long as 4. right away
5. more than 6. am thankful...for 7. wrote back 8. forbidden from
9. vanished into 10. was free to
1.O 2.J 3.G 4.H 5.L 6.A 7.E 8.B 9.C 10.N
1. sadness 2. weakness 3. carelessness 4. illness
5. darkness 6. kindness 7. laziness 8. nervousness
1. noisy 2. wealthy 3. sunny 4. lucky
5. tasty 6. healthy 7. angry 8. icy
1. It is necessary for the manager to finish the whole task before leaving for a holiday.
2. It is a shame to take so much money for doing so little.
3. It is our responsibility to help people around us who are in trouble.
4. It is a surprise for us all to realize he has been cheating us.
5. It is pleasant for the mother to see her daughter growing into a young lady.
1. as long as she got her father's agreement
2. As long as you set a goal for yourself
3. As long as she covers all the expenses herself
4. as long as she does her job well
5. As long as you never lose heart
1. It is a great pleasure to meet friends from afar.
2. It doesn't matter whether the cat is black or white as long as it catches mice.
3. You must let me have the money back without fail by ten o'clock tomorrow morning.
4. Allow me to take part in this project: I am more than a little interested in it.
5. Everyone knows that he is special: He is free to come and go as he pleases.
6. Watching the unhappy look on her face, I felt as though she wished to say something to me.
1.B 2.C 3.A 4.D 5.B 6.A 7.D 8.D 9.C 10.A 11.A 12.B 13.D 14.C 15.C
Parents have to save a large amount of money for their children to study abroad. Apart from the international flight, they have to pay for their daily expense, such as food, shelter, entertainment, long-distance telephone calls, and clothing. In addition, the children should have some money ready to cover unexpected expenses.
1. I am almost dead.
2. I am moving across the landscape.
3. I have achieved a modest amount of prosperity.
4. A friend convinces me to go on a blind date with a lady friend of his.
5. Roma gets a faraway look in her eyes.
Comprehension of the Text
1.D 2.A 3.C 4.A 5.B 6.B 7.C 8.A
1. insurance 2. descended 3. precision 4. trace 5. stain
6. specify 7. accustomed 8. embraced 9. knelt 10. prosperity
1. The Rockefeller family achieved a huge amount of prosperity in the oil business.
2. What all workers have in common is expecting better working conditions.
3. You don't know what his feelings will be, as they change from day to day.
4. This is generally a warm place, but we do get freezing weather on occasion.
5. Every year at Christmas drunk driving takes its toll on the joyful atmosphere.
6. Many people still cling to the hope that one day there will be peace between the two countries.
7. He was so angry that he lost control.
8. The climate in Alaska is a far cry from that of Florida.
9. How on earth did she manage to pass the test?
10. His career as a teacher came to an end when he broke his leg, but he continued to write textbooks for students.