Part I Writing (30 minutes)
Directions: For this part, you are allowed 30 minutes to write a short essay on the following topic. You should write at least 120 words but no more than 180 words.
Suppose a foreign friend of yours is coming to visit your hometown, what is the most interesting place you would like to take him/her to see and why?
Part II Listening Comprehension (30 minutes)
Directions: In this section, you will hear 8 short conversations and 2 long conversations. At the end of each conversation, one or more questions will be asked about what was said. Both the conversation and the questions will be spoken only once. After each question there will be a pause. During the pause, you must read the four choices marked A), B), C) and D), and decide which is the best answer. Then mark the corresponding letter on Answer Sheet 1 with a single line through the centre.
1. A) See a doctor about her strained shoulder.
B) Use a ladder to help her reach the tea.
C) Replace the cupboard with a new one.
D) Place the tea on a lower shelf next time.
2. A) At Mary Johnson’s. C) In an exhibition hall.
B) At a painter’s studio. D) Outside an art gallery.
3. A) The teacher evaluated lacks teaching experience.
B) She does not quite agree with what the man said.
C) The man had better talk with the students himself.
D) New students usually cannot offer a fair evaluation.
4. A) He helped Doris build up the furniture.
B) Doris helped him arrange the furniture.
C) Doris fixed up some of the bookshelves.
D) He was good at assembling bookshelves.
5. A) He doesn’t get on with the others. C) He has been taken for a fool.
B) He doesn’t feel at ease in the firm. D) He has found a better position.
6. A) They should finish the work as soon as possible.
B) He will continue to work in the garden himself.
C) He is tired of doing gardening on weekends.
D) They can hire a gardener to do the work.
7. A) The man has to get rid of the used furniture.
B) The man’s apartment is ready for rent.
C) The furniture is covered with lots of dust.
D) The furniture the man bought is inexpensive.
8. A) The man will give the mechanic a call.
B) The woman is waiting for a call.
C) The woman is doing some repairs.
D) The man knows the mechanic very well.
Questions 9 to 11 are based on the conversation you have just heard.
9. A) She had a job interview to attend.
B) She was busy finishing her project.
C) She had to attend an important meeting.
D) She was in the middle of writing an essay.
10. A) Accompany her roommate to the classroom.
B) Hand in her roommate’s application form.
C) Submit her roommate’s assignment.
D) Help her roommate with her report.
11. A) Where Dr. Ellis’s office is located. C) Directions to the classroom building.
B) When Dr. Ellis leaves his office. D) Dr. Ellis’s schedule for the afternoon.
Questions 12 to 15 are based on the conversation you have just heard.
12. A) He finds it rather stressful. C) He can handle it quite well.
B) He is thinking of quitting it. D) He has to work extra hours.
13. A) The 6:00 one. C) The 7:00 one.
B) The 6:30 one. D) The 7:30 one.
14. A) It is an awful waste of time.
B) He finds it rather unbearable.
C) The time on the train is enjoyable.
D) It is something difficult to get used to.
15. A) Reading newspapers. C) Listening to the daily news.
B) Chatting with friends. D) Planning the day’s work.