'There - you've owned it!'
“怎么样——你已经承认了呀!”

'So have you - so have we all,' said Marian, with the dry frankness of complete indifference to opinion. 'It is silly to pretend otherwise amongst ourselves, though we need not own it to other folks. I would just marry 'n to-morrow!'
“你也承认了——我们所有的人都承认了,”玛丽安坦率地说,一点也不在乎别人说长道短。“虽然我们用不着向别人承认这件事,但是在我们自己中间装假就犯傻了。我愿意明天就嫁给他。”

'So would I - and more,' murmured Izz Huett.
“我也这样想——也许比你更迫切呢,”伊茨·休特低声说。

'And I too,' whispered the more timid Retty.
“我也想嫁给他呢。”腼腆的莱蒂悄声说。

The listener grew warm.
那位在听他们说话的人,脸上发起烧来。

'We can't all marry him,' said Izz.
“我们不能都嫁给他呀。”伊茨说。

'We shan't, either of us; which is worse still,' said the eldest. 'There he is again!'
“我们谁也不能嫁给他;这可是更糟糕的事儿,”年纪最大的玛丽安说。“他又出来了!”

They all three blew him a silent kiss.
她们三个人都向他飞了一个吻。

'Why?' asked Retty quickly.
“为什么?”莱蒂急忙问。

'Because he likes Tess Durbeyfield best,' said Marian, lowering her voice. 'I have watched him every day, and have found it out.'
“因为他最喜欢苔丝·德北菲尔德,”玛丽安放低了声音说。“我每天都在观察他的举动,所以就发现了这件事。”

There was a reflective silence.
大家都思索起来,不做声了。

'But she don't care anything for 'n?' at length breathed Retty.
“可是苔丝对他没有一点儿意思呀?”莱蒂终于忍不住说了。

'Well - I sometimes think that too.'
“唉——有时候我也是那样想的。”

'But how silly all this is!' said Izz Huett impatiently. 'Of course he won't marry any one of us, or Tess either - a gentleman's son, who's going to be a great landowner and farmer abroad! More likely to ask us to come wi'en as farm-hands at so much a year!'
“不过这一切都是多么傻呀!”伊茨·休特不耐烦地说。“他当然不会娶我们中间任何一个人,也不会娶苔丝——他是一个绅士的儿子,将来他要到国外去做大地主和农场主的呀!要说请我们去当帮工,出多少钱干一年,倒还差不多。”