1 The Bennets'new neighbour
1 班纳特家的新邻居

It is a truth well known to all the world that an unmarried man in possession of a large fortune must be in need of a wife. And when such a man moves into a neighbourhood, even if nothing is known about his feelings or opinions, this truth is so clear to the surrounding families, that they think of him immediately as the future husband of one or other of their daughters.
家产万贯而又尚未婚配的男人一定需要一个贤内助,这是一条世界上尽人皆知的真理。当这样一位男人搬到了附近时,这条真理在邻居们心中就显得更加清楚,他们哪怕对他的感情或意见一无所知,也会马上把他当作他们哪个女儿未来的丈夫。

解析:in possession of 拥有、占有
eg:He is in possession of a large estate in the country.
他在乡下拥有一大块地产。

fortune 财富;运气
eg:Fortune smiles upon the brave and
frowns upon the coward.
财富总是对勇敢的人微笑,对懦弱的人皱眉头。

'My dear Mr Bennet,' said Mrs Bennet to her husband one day, 'have you heard that someone is going to rent Netherfield Park at last?'
“亲爱的班纳特先生,”一天,班纳特夫人对她丈夫说,“你听说了吗?尼日斐庄园到底还是租出去了。”

解析:rent 租借、出租
eg: I rent an apartment in town.
我在城里租了一个公寓。

'No, Mrs Bennet, I haven't.' said her husband.
“我还没听说,班纳特太太,”她丈夫说。

'Don't you want to know who is renting it?' cried Mrs Bennet impatiently.
“难道你不想知道是谁要租吗?”班纳特太太不耐烦地嚷了起来。

'You want to tell me, and I don't mind listening.'
“你要想告诉我,我也不妨听听。”

解析:mind 作动词表示介意、注意;作名词意为理智、精神、智力
eg: Do you mind my closing the window?
我关窗您不会介意吧?

Mrs Bennet needed no further encouragement. 'Well, my dear, I hear that he's a very rich young man from the north of England. It seems he came to see Netherfield on Monday and was so delighted with it that he arranged to rent it at once. Of course, it is the finest house in the area, with the largest gardens. His servants will be here by the end of the week, and he will be arriving soon afterwards!'
班纳特夫人不需要更多的鼓励就开腔了。“啊,亲爱的,我听说他是个阔少爷,英格兰北部人。好像是星期一来看了看尼日斐,十分喜欢,马上安排把它租了下来。当然,连宅子的花园都那么大,那确实是这一片最好的庄园。他的仆人周末到,他本人随后就到!”

解析:by the end of 到结束时、在……之前
eg: We've finished our
task by the end of the deadline.
在截止日期之前我们就完成了任务。