1. Although ____ Spanish, he attended the course.
2. You ____that letter to James. However, you didn’t.
3. Joseph was very lucky ____ with his life; he almost did not get out of the room.
4. Bread and butter ____liked by Westerners.
5. The back garden of our house contains a lawn, ____very pleasant to sit on in summer.
6. He set up in business ____ his own and was very successful.
7. John’s score on the test is the highest in the class; he ____ last night.
8. Modern ___perhaps causes more problems than it solves.
9. Mary tiptoed over and took the clock away because she hated to hear it ____ when she was trying to go to sleep.
10. Under this ____ pressure some of the rocks even became liquid.
11. Of course, most immigrants did not get rich overnight, but the ____ of them were eventually able to improve upon their former standard of living.
12. Nancy was surprised that they have ____. They seemed to be a happy couple.
13.The beach is in an ideal ____to draw tourists.
14. Our ____ sensitivity decreases with age. By age 60, most people have lost 40 percent of their ability to smell and 50 percent of their taste buds.
15. The eldest child is thoroughly ____because they always give him whatever he wants.
16. If a substance is dissolved in water or heated, it may ____a gas.
17. His manner was so pleasant that Bolla felt at ____ with him at once.
18. —Can you take the day off tomorrow?
—Well, I’ll have to get ____ from my boss.
19. The ____ in Janet’s character has hindered her from advancement in her career.