2019.06.18

周二 Tuesday

overrate [,əuvə'reit] 
v. 过高评价

图片来源:视觉中国

 

Being right is overrated.
“我是对的”其实没有你想的那么重要。
So many other human nuances hold greater sway in our fact-free, give-it-to-me-now-or-else world.
在我们这个“不管事实如何,现在就给我,不然就算了”的世界里,人类还有如此多其他方面的细微差别有着更大的影响力。
I was, therefore, rendered temporarily insensate by a story of righteousness emerging from a simple Starbucks transaction.
因此,一桩简单的星巴克交易所引发的正义故事,让我暂时失去了理智。
At least, it had a simple beginning.
至少,故事的开头是很简单的。
In the Twitter-telling of English comedian Tiffany Stevenson, a woman walked into the Starbucks and ordered what they call over there a "caramel macchiato."
英国喜剧演员蒂芙尼·史蒂文森的推特写着,一位女士走进星巴克,点了一杯他们称之为“焦糖玛奇朵”的咖啡。
Stevenson described what happened next:
 
史蒂文森描述了接下来发生的事情:
Unbelievable bit of womb bothering in Starbucks at services.
]星巴克的服务被子宫影响了,难以置信。
A pregnant woman got her Caramel Macchiato and the guy behind the counter said: 'Oh, it's for you.' 
一位孕妇点的焦糖玛奇朵,柜台后面的男人说:“噢,是你要喝呀。”
Do you want me to make a decaf?'
你要我做无咖啡因咖啡吗?”
She said: 'No, thanks.'
 她说:“不用,谢谢。”
Him: 'No, I should because caffeine is bad for the baby.'
他说:“不,当然应该做无咖啡因的,因为咖啡因对宝宝不好。”
Let's take this slowly. A Starbucks barista claims to be a baby expert and attempts to lecture a pregnant customer.
让我们仔细品品,一位星巴克服务员声称自己是一位婴儿专家,并试图对一位怀孕的顾客进行指导。
Worse, the barista is a man. Because men know so much more about pregnancy than women. About everything, really.
更糟的是,服务员是个男的。因为男人比女人更了解怀孕。更了解一切,真的。
There was, sadly, more: 
遗憾的是,还有更过分的:
Her: 'It's fine, I have one a day' 
她说:“没关系,我每天都会喝一杯。”
Him: 'But...you shouldn't'
他:“但是……你不应该喝”
Me: almost spontaneously combusting. 'Are you a man, telling a woman what she should and shouldn't have during a pregnancy?' 
我: 怒火中烧。“你一个男人,在告诉一个女人在怀孕期间应该和不应该做什么?”
Then he says: 'Oh just because it's bad for the baby so that's why I'm saying it.'
然后他说:“哦,我是因为这对婴儿不好才一直这么说的。”
Stevenson said she tried to remonstrate with him, in the forlorn hope that he might, perhaps, be struck with a little self-awareness: 
史蒂文森说,她心存侥幸试着向他提出抗议,希望他也许能有点自知之明。
Then he continues to try and justify policing a complete stranger for 5 minutes. He was maybe 30 years old max.
然后,他又花了五分钟对一个路人证明自己的正确性。他大约三十几岁。
Naturally, I asked Starbucks whether it gives specific pregnancy advice training to its employees -- or, indeed, to others it might teach in the coffee-making ways -- and will update, should I hear.
自然,我问星巴克,它是否为员工提供怀孕建议培训——或者,实际上,是否为其他可能教咖啡制作方法的员工提供此类培训——如果答案是肯定的,我还会问,那么培训是否会持续更新。
A company spokesperson did tell Allure: 
该公司的一位发言人告诉《Allure》杂志:
We have reason to believe that this was truly a misunderstanding, and the worker was trying to clarify the customer's order.
我们有理由相信这确实是一个误会,工作人员当时正在努力弄清楚客户的订单。
Quite some misunderstanding.
这可真是很大的误解啊。
For what it might be worth, I could find no scientific evidence that coffee in moderation is harmful during pregnancy. 
或许值得注意的是,我没有发现任何科学证据表明,在怀孕期间适量饮用咖啡是有害的。

 

今日词汇

overrate [,əuvə'reit] 
v. 过高评价

 

不难看出,这个词是 over + rate

rate 作名词是“比率”,作动词是“评价”。

而 overrate 就是“给予……过高评价”、“把……看得过于重要”。

In my opinion, Hirst's work has been vastly overrated.

在我看来,赫斯特的作品被大大地高估了。