President Donald Trump said in a tweet Sunday that he's working to give China's ZTE "a way to get back into business, fast.”
Jobs in China are at risk, he said.
ZTE (ZTCOF), a smartphone and telecom equipment maker that does business around the world, announced last week that it has halted its main operations after the Trump administration banned American companies from selling it vital components.
"Too many jobs in China lost. Commerce Department has been instructed to get it done!" Trump wrote in a tweet Sunday.
The US Commerce Department did not immediately respond to multiple requests for comment Sunday.
The White House later issued a statement indicating that President Trump "expects" Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross "to exercise his independent judgment, consistent with applicable laws and regulations, to resolve the regulatory action involving ZTE based on its facts.”
The Chinese government welcomed Trump's comments.
"We very much appreciate the positive statement from the US side on ZTE and maintain close communication with them on the issue," Foreign Ministry spokesman Lu Kang said Monday.“
ZTE's current struggles have made it the most visible consequence thus far of a brewing trade war between the United States and China.