What are some mind-blowing facts that sound like 'BS', but are actually true?
1. The distance between Earth and the Moon is enough to fit all the planets in the solar system!
And then too, you will still have space left!
2. Saturn can float on water!
If one can find a big enough body of water and put Saturn on it, it would actually float! This is because Saturn is mostly gaseous and its density would be less than water.( If calculated it would turn out to be something around 700kg/m^3; Density of water is 1000kg/m^3).
3. There is a reservoir of water in space!(sort of)
Astrophysicists have found a cloud that harbors 140 trillion times the water that is found on Earth. Simply put, it can supply 140 trillion planets as full of water as Earth is. But it is still unclear whether the water is D2O(Heavy Water/Deuterium oxide) or not.
4. There are more stars in the observable universe than there are grains of sands on all the beaches of the earth combined!
There are about 5-10 times more Stars in the observable universe. There are very roughly around 7.5 x 10^18 grains of sand. That's actually a very big number.
可观测的宇宙范围内星星的数量要多出5-10倍，沙粒总数约为7.5 x 10^18，数量真的很庞大。
5. The entire human population is not big enough to completely fill the Grand Canyon!
6. Scientists have been successfully able to reach temperatures as low as a billionth of a degree higher than the absolute zero
7. Scientist have also been successful to slow down light to 17m/s and then stop it completely for over a minute
YES! They were able to stop it for a whole minute! In that time, light could have made 30 round trips to the moon!
8. If you scale an apple to the size of the Earth, an atom would be the size of a normal apple
9. Weight of a Hurricane
You see that white, fluffy cloud in the sky? How much do you think it weighs? I mean, its floating right? It can’t possibly weigh much, right?
Well, the average white cloud actually weighs around a 100 metric tons!
So how do they stay afloat? They stay afloat due to the rising warm currents of air which don’t let the water from the clouds fall!
Okay, so, If a white cloud weighs this much, how much would a black cloud weigh(The average storm cloud)?
A whopping 50,000 metric tons!! To get a perspective how heavy that is, it weighs the same as 280 blue whales!
Now, to the main topic, how much would a hurricane weigh?
If you consider the typical hurricane that strikes the US, it weighs a staggering 50 Million Metric tons!!