【Situational Dialogue】

A: How's it going with the travel arrangements, Rachel?

A: Rachel,外出的安排情况怎样?

B: I've managed to book flights at the time you wanted, and I've found you a hotel in Paris for three nights. Frankfurt is more of a problem. There's a big trade fair going on there next week. All the hotels are fully booked.

B: 我已按你要求的时间订好了班机,也找到了你在巴黎住三天的旅馆。法兰克福还是个问题。下周,那里要举行大型经贸交易会。所有的旅馆都已经预定满了。

A: You can find me something, surely?

A: 你一定会给我找到一个住处的,对吗?

B: Maybe, but it'll probably be out in the wilds.

B: 有可能,不过也许要到荒郊野外的地方才能找到。

A: Well, keep trying. I managed to persuade quite a few people to see me, and I must keep the appointments. Are you having any language problems?

A: 哎,继续努力找吧。我好不容易说服了那么多人和我会面,我必须守约呀。你有语言方面的困难吗?

B: No, all the hotel receptionists speak good English. Finding a room is the problem.

B: 没问题,旅馆接待人员的英语都说得很好。问题是找不到房间。

A: Try some of the smaller hotels.

A: 找小点的旅馆试试看。

B: I already have.

B: 我已经试过了。

A: Well, if necessary I'll book for something when I'm there.

A: 噢,如果需要的话,我到那儿时自己找吧。

B: You might end up walking the streets.

B: 你可能到时候只能遛马路。

A: I've just thought of something. My first appointment is with Mr. Schmitt. His secretary was particularly helpful when I spoke to her. It might be worth giving her a ring and asking if she has any ideas.

A: 我刚想到一个办法。我的第一个约会是和Schmitt先生会谈。我和他的秘书通话时,发现她特别乐于助人。给她打个电话,问问她有什么办法,说不定能解决问题。

B: Okay, I'll give it a try.

B: 好吧,我试试看。

【Note】

1. How's it going with sth./sb. 表示“某事进行得如何?/某人近况如何?”。我们平时跟熟人打招呼时可以说"How's it going (with you)?",这是非常口语的表达,意思相当于How are you doing?(你近来如何?)

2. more of 是“更多”的意思,more of a problem 就是说不仅仅是一个问题,换句话说就是个大问题。

3. keep one's appointment 表示“守约”,appointment 相当于 engagement(约会)的意思,其他词组还有:break one's appointment 违约,by appointment 按照约会的时间(地点)

4. walk the streets 这个短语要当心点啊,它除了有“在街上走”的意思外,还能表示“做妓女”。