1. There ______ no water in the glass.
A. has B. are C. is
2. This pen was given me by my mother. It’s ______.
A. my B. mine C. to me
3. ______ tractors helpful to the commune members?
A. Is this B. Are these C. Are theirs
4. Which subject do you like ______, Physics or chemistry?
A. the most B. the best C. better
5. The Yellow River is the second ______ river in China.
A. long B. longer C. longest
6. The boat is passing ______ the bridge.
A. under B. through C. across
7. He went to Nanking ______ October, 1977.
A. in B. on C. at
8. Taiwan is ______ the east of Fukien.
A. in B. at C. to
9. His “Selected Poems” ______ first published in 1965.
A. were B. was C. has been
10. Did you ______ to his talk yesterday?
A. hear B. heard C. listen
11. Who is ______ of you three?
A. older B. oldest C. the oldest
12. My aunt ______ to see us. She’ll be here soon.
A. comes B. is coming C. had come
13. Mathematics ______ the language of science.
A. is B. are going to be C. are
14. ______ people attended the meeting last night.
A. A hundred of B. Hundred C. Hundreds of
15. What do you usually do ______?
A. in an evening B. in the evening C. on the evening
16. When I got to the top of the mountain, the sun ______.
A. was shining B. shone C. has shone
17. He is very old, ______ he still works very hard.
A. but B. if C. when
18. He has already worked for ______ hour.
A. the B. an C. a
19. My brother is very good ______ ping-pong.
A. in B. for C. at
20. The poor peasants all had a ______ life before liberation.
A. suffered B. cruel C. bitter
21. I’ve heard him ______ about you often.
A. spoke B. speaks C. speak
22. When did you ______ my letter?
A. receive B. accept C. got
23. I need a day or two ______.
A. to think it over B. to think over it C. of thinking
24. We must ______ the importance of the four modernizations.
A. learn by heart B. keep in mind C. know by heart
25. We ______ a spare-time study group last week.
A. set up B. put up C. have established
26. My father ______ me to become a doctor.
A. thinks B. says C. hopes
27. He is ______ thin.
A. fairly B. rather C. little
28. We waited ______ for the bus.
A. for long time B. a long time C. some long time
29. In this factory, it’s hard to tell cadres ______ workers.
A. from B. to C. about
30. I ______ Hsiao Li since she was a little girl.
A. knew B. know C. have known
1. This is my dictionary.
2. She often carries water for Granny Wang.
3. I think he’ll go there tomorrow.
4. We chose Chang Hua League secretary.
5. Our teacher always takes good care of us.
Premier Chou came to ______ my grandmother the first time he ______ Tachai. I shouted into Granny’s ______, “Granny, the Premier’s here. He’s come all the ______ from Peking to see you!”
“How ______ we are to meet you, Premier Chou!” said Granny. “How did you get here and how ______ are you going to stay?”
The Premier said, “I came by ______, so the journey took me only a few hours. I ______ think I can stay in Tachai very long, because I’ve got a ______ of work to do in Peking. I_____ be back today.”
The Gold in the Orchard*
There was once a farmer who had a fine orchard. He worked very hard all his life and the orchard always did well. But he knew that his three sons looked down upon farm-work, and were only interested in getting rich quickly.
When the farmer was old and knew he was going to die, he called his three sons to him and said, “My sons, there’s a lot of gold hidden in the orchard. Dig for it, if you want to have it.”
The sons tried to get him to tell them the exact place where the gold was hidden, but he said nothing more.
After the farmer was dead, the sons went to look for the gold. Since they didn’t know where the hiding-place was, they decided to begin digging all over the orchard. They dug and dug, but no gold was found. Finally they had to give up the attempt.
The next summer, the fruit crop was the biggest they had ever had. This was because of the thorough digging the orchard had got.
When the three sons saw the great amount of money they got after they sold the fruit, they suddenly understood what their wise father had meant when he said. “There’s gold hidden in the orchard. Dig for it.”
1. When the old farmer was living, ______
A. the orchard gave rich crops each year.
B. the orchard gave rich crops only when the weather conditions were good.
C. the orchard had an average crop.
D. the fruit crop was usually poor.
2. Say which of the following statements is true:
A. The farmer’s sons were lazy and had never worked on the farm.
B. The farmer’s sons did a lot of buying and selling in town so as to get rich quickly.
C. The farmer’s sons loved farm work, because their father, who was hardworking all his life, had told them to work hard.
D. The farmer’s sons considered farm work worthless.
3. When the sons asked their father to tell them the exact place where the gold was hidden , he told them nothing, because
A. he was dying.
B. he thought they understood what he meant.
C. he wanted them to dig the orchard all over.
D. the gold could easily be found.
4. No gold was found because ________
A. the farmer’s sons hadn’t dug the orchard deep enough.
B. the gold had been stolen.
C. the farmer’s sons didn’t know in what part of the orchard the gold was hidden.
D. there was no gold hidden in the orchard.
A few stars are known which are hardly bigger than the earth , but the majority1 are so large that hundreds of thousands of earths could be packed2inside each and leave room to spare; here and there we come upon a giant star. A few stars are known whicr large enough to contain millions of millions of earths. And the total number of stars in the universe is probably something like the total number of grains of sand on all the seashores of the world. Such is the littleness of our home in space when measured up against the total substance of the universe.
1. the majority 大多数 2. pack 装入 3. universe 宇宙