下列各组单词中有三个单词的元音读音相同，只有一个单词例外。要求在读音不同的单词下面划一横线 (本题共5分，每小题0. 5分)
例：reach / heat / leave / head
1. form / word / born / torn
2. foot / good / flood / look
3. walk / talk / chalk / calm
4. five / give / dive / drive
5. watch / match / catch / snatch
6. few / new / knew / sew
7. house / south / soul / mouth
8. wall / shall / fall / call
9. none / chose / note / close
10. grown / known / thrown / town
例：He was pleased to get his father’s letter. (pleasure)
1. He’s very much _______ in science books. (interest)
2. Polluted air is _______. (poison)
3. The teacher smiled with _______ at Tom’s answer. (satisfy)
4. Smoking is _______ to health. (harm)
5. The _______ of Premier (总理) Zhou Enlai caused deep sorrow among the Chinese people. (die)
6. He made a good opening _______ at the meeting. (speak)
7. “Can you tell me the way to the station?” “I’m sorry. I’m a _______ here too.” (strange)
8. Thank you very much for your _______. (kind)
9. You can _______ find the answer in the text. (easy)
10. His opinion sounds _______. (reason)
下面I栏中有23个单词，其中20个可以在II栏中找到相当的或接近的解释。分别将这20个单词前的编号填入同它相配的解释前的括号内。每个解释只能用一次 (本题共10分，每小题0. 5分)
例：i. large (ii) not beautiful
ii. ugly (i) big
1. alive ( ) at once
2. consider ( ) order somebody not to do
3. discover ( ) take away
4. enter ( ) not dead
5. feed ( ) take place
6. finally ( ) think about
7. forbid ( ) certainly
8. happen ( ) at last
9. immediately ( ) almost not
10 January ( ) all kinds of
11. join ( ) make clean with water
12. except ( ) find out
13. maybe ( ) the first month of the year
14. remove ( ) move about without an aim
15. surely ( ) rich
16. main ( ) become a member of
17. hardly ( ) come or go into
18. various ( ) perhaps
19. visit ( ) go to see somebody or a place
20. wander ( ) give food to
在改写后的句子中填写适当的词，使句子完整，并与原句意思相符。每个空格只准填写一个英语单词，其他部分不得作任何改动 (本题共15分，每小题1. 5分，每个空格0. 5分)
例：We had no trouble in finding his house because everyone in the town knew him.
Everyone in the town knew him. so we had no trouble in finding his house.
1. His theory was too advanced for most people to understand.
His theory was ___(1) ___ advanced that most people could ___ (2) ___ understand ___ (3)___.
2. His brother received a doctor’s degree at the age of twenty-five.
His brother received a doctor’s degree ___ (1) ___ he ___ (2) ___ twenty-five years ___ (3)___.
3. I ran all the way so that I could get to school on time.
I ran all the way so as ___ (1)___ ___ (2) ___(3) ___ school on time.
4. “Have you examined my son yet, Doctor?” the mother asked.
The mother asked the doctor ___ (1) ___ he ___ (2) ___ examined ___ (3) ___ son yet.
5. He pretends to know everything.
He pretends that ___ (1)___ ___ (2)___ ___ (3) ___.
6. Marx wrote back telling Engels that his praise had greatly encouraged him.
Marx wrote back telling Engels that he ___ (1)___ ___ (2)___ greatly ___ (3) ___ by his praise.
7. I have never read such an interesting story.
This is the most interesting story that ___ (1)___ ___ (2)___ ever ___ (3) ___.
8. I don’t need your help. I can do it by myself.
I can ___ (1) ___ it ___ (2)___ your ___ (3) ___.
9. When he turned to the left, he suddenly found the shop he was looking for.
___ (1)___ ___ (2)___ the left, ___ (3) ___ suddenly found the shop he was looking for.
10. He planted some trees last year. Those trees are growing well.
The trees ___ (1)___ ___ (2)___ last year ___(3)___ growing well.
在A. 、B. 、C. 、D. 四个答案中，选出一个正确答案，把它前面的字母填入左边的括号内。对原文不得作任何改动 (本题共20分，每小题1分)
例：A. English is a language ________ in many countries.
A. spoken B. speaking
C. be spoken D. to speak
1. Tables are made of ________.
A. wood B. woods
C. wooden D. some woods
2. Don’t get off the bus until it ________.
A. has stopped B. stopped
C. will stop D. shall stop
3. I ________ you will write me back soon.
A. wish B. need
C. want D. hope
4. Do you remember ________ me at a party last year?
A. meet B. to meet
C. meeting D. met
5. I’ll begin the dictation when you ________ ready.
A. shall be B. will be
C. are D. have been
6. How are you getting along ________ your studies?
A. over B. with
C. on D. within
7. She never tells a lie, ________?
A. does she B. doesn’t she
C. does not she D. isn’t it
8. Jack is ________ a black jacket today.
A. having on B. put on
C. wearing D. dressed
9. He is ________ teacher that all of us like him.
A. a such good B. such good a
C. a so good D. so good a
10. The word “write” has the same pronunciation ________ the word “right”.
A. of B. as
C. to D. from
11. ________ some officials, Napoleon inspected his army.
A. Followed B. Followed by
C. Being followed D. Having been followed by
12. A good deal of money ________ spent on books.
A. have B. has
C. have been D. has been
13. ________ he said is true.
A. What B. That
C. Which D. Whether
14. John ________ Henry when they met at the airport.
A. shakes hand with B. shakes hands with
C. shook hand with D. shook hands with
15. By the time he was twelve, Edison ________ to make a living by himself.
A. would begin B. has begun
C. had begun D. was begun
16. Only in this way ________ progress in your English.
A. you make B. can you make
C. you be able to make D. will you able to make
17. If there were no subjunctive mood, English ________ much easier.
A. will be B. would have been
C. could have been D. would be
18. She ________ Robert for a year.
A. married B. married with
C. has been marrying D. has been married to
19. We had better hurry ________ it is getting dark.
A. and B. but
C. as D. unless
20. No matter how hard he worked, ________.
A. he could not do any better
B. and he could not do any better
C. so he could not do any better
D. but he could not do any better
use / finish / think / be / pay / help / buy / work / try / like
When he ___(1)___ a little boy, hristopher Cockerell once watched his mother turning the wheel of her sewing-machine with her hand.
“Wouldn’t it work quicker if a machine turned the wheel for you?” he asked.
“I suppose it would,” said his mother, without ___(2)___ him any attention.
Christopher knew she always had a lot of work, and he wanted ___(3)___ her. Up in his bedroom there was a toy steam-engine which his father ___(4)___ him as a gift. “I shall make better use of it, “ little Christopher said to himself. So, when his mother ___(5)___ (not) her sewing-machine, he fixed the toy steam-engine onto it. When the job ___(6)___, he was quite pleased, ___(7)___ his mother would like it.
“Very clever, “his mother said, when she saw it. Then she sat down and went on turning the wheel by hand. “I ___(8)___ like this for too many years, “ she explained.
This taught Christopher Cockerell the lesson that anyone who (9) to improve anything has to learn:
Many people ___(10) ___(not) new ideas.
Here is a ___(1)___ of the ___(2)___.
The world is ___(3)___ up of seven ___(4)___. The largest among them is ___(5)___.
Tis boy is writing a ___(6)___ to his friend ___(7)___. He’s writing it (8) English. As he is not sure ___(9)___ his spelling, he has to look ___(10)___ all the difficult words in the dictionary.
I was waiting on the station platform ___(11)___ the Tienjin train when a man ___(12)___ me if I knew the time of the next train to Tienjin.___(13)___ often had to go there myself, so I knew and told him. A ___(14)___ minutes later an old lady wanted to know whether the train to Shanghai had already left. I knew that it ___(15)___ not, so, of course, I told her. Then a girl came to me and asked ___(16)___ the train from Nanjing was late. I didn’t know. I just told her that when trains were late, ___(17)___ was usually because something had happened. I was wondering why all these people were asking ___(18)___ those questions when I noticed that I was ___(19)___ next to a sign(牌子) ___(20)___ said “Inquiry Office”.
Who Would Hear Me First?
Professor Wang is a physics teacher in Beijing. Once she was explaining to one of her classes about sound. She decided to test the students to see how well they had understood her. “I have an uncle in Xinjiang,” she said. “Suppose I was calling him on the phone from here. and at the same time you were 25 metres away, listening to me. Who would hear me first, my uncle or you — and for what reason?”
Ma Hua at once answered, “Your uncle, Professor, because sound-waves (声波) travel slower than electricity. “
“Good, “ said the professor. But then another boy raised his hand.
“Yes, Limin?” said Professor Wang.
“Of course your uncle would hear you first,” Limin said, “but that’s because of the time difference. When it’s nine o’clock here, it’s seven o’clock in Xinjiang.”
1. In her physics class Professor Wang was teaching her students about ___(1)___.
2. In her explanations, she told the students that ___(2)___ is faster than ___(3)___.
3. “Did they ___(4)___ me?” she wondered. So she decided to (5) her students.
4. Professor Wang was ___(6)___ with the first student’s answer.
5. Ma Hua thought the teacher’s ___(7)___ over the telephone would be heard first, though the ___(8)___ between our capital and Xinjiang is much greater.
6. We can be sure that the teacher did not agree with ___(9)___ because he gave the wrong ___(10)___, though part of his answer was right.
(附加题) 综合填空根据短文内容在每个空格内填写一个英语单词。所填单词的第一个字母必须与空格内所给的字母一致，不得改动 (本题共10分，每个空格1分。本题成绩供参考用，不计入总分)
How does sound travel through air? This is a question that often p___(1)___ people. The answer isn’t h___(2)___to find if you have ever o___(3)___ waves on a river or sea.
T___(4)___ a stone into a pool and see what happens. Try to i___(5)___ what will take place when someone shouts or makes a loud n___(6)___, and you can get an i___(7)___ of the movement of sound.
The study of sound is one of the things that physics d___(8)___ with. Physics may seem terribly dry and c___(9)___ at times, but a good teacher can make it both i___(10)___ and simple.