1. When there's doubt the examiner's decision is _____.
A. right B. final C. definite D. fixed
[答案] B. final.
[注释]final最终的，不会改变的。definite明确的。fixed固定的，不变的；a fixed income(固定收入)。right正确的。
2. Busy and successful as he was, the novelist was willing to _____ any promising young man and give him all the help he could.
A. take up B. pick up C. make up D. look up
[答案] A. take up.
This athlete was taken up by several Boston universities.(这个运动员得到波士顿大学的关照)
3. He did not find a job yet because he had no _____ to men who could help him.
A. approach B. application C. access D. approval
[答案] C. access.
[注释]have access to进入的路；能接近，进入，了解或使用(不可数名词)。列如：
1)We had access to his private files.(我们能接触他的私人档案。)
2)Only a few people have access to the full facts of the ase.(只有几人能了解案件的全部事实)
3)Only high officials had access to the emperor.(只有高级官员才能接近皇帝。)
1)He was warned of the enemy.(已警告他敌人已接近。)
2)His book represents a new approach to the difficulty.(他的书代表了处理困难的一种新方法)
3)The approach to the house was a narrow path.(通到这幢房子的路是一条小径。)
4. The old man got into the _____ of storing money under the bed.
A. tradition B. habit C. use D. custom
[答案] B. habit.
[注释]get into the habit of doing sth.意为“养成了做.....的习惯"。habit指个人的习惯,而custom则指社会的风俗习惯。tradition“传统"。
5. The beauty of the place is more than I can describe. I am sure whoever sees it will _____ its charm.
A. appeal to B. stick to C. keep to D. yield to
[答案] D. yield to.
The disease yielded to treatment.(=The disease was cured as the result of treatment.)(这病经过治疗已减轻或治愈。)
appeal to向。.....呼吁；stick to(=keep to)坚持。
6. Children are likely to get _____ if no one cares about their upbringing.
A. out of hand B. out of order
C. out of place D. out of work
[答案] A. out of hand.
[注释]get(or be) out of hand是习语，意为“无法控制，不受约束":
This situation appears to be completely out of hand.(看来形势已完全失去控制)
out of order有毛病,失灵；
out of place不得其所的，不适当的；
out of work失业。
7. When the Greeks had _____ the Persians, a soldier ran from Marathon to Athens.
A. won B. bitten C. beaten D. hit
[答案] C. beaten.
[注释]beat sb. 打败某人beat sb. black and blue(把某人打得鼻青脸肿)
hit,击，击中:hit a man on the head(打在人的头上);hit at sb.(向某人打去)
strike(=hit ,give a blow at blows to)打,击：strike a man on the chin(打在某人的下巴上)
win赢得，用作此义时，后不能接某人，可以说win a match, a victory, the first prize等
8. There was a large box behind the door and Peter couldn't _____ falling over it in the darkness.
A. help B. resist C. avoid D. prevent
He tried to avoid answering my questions.
can't (couldn't) help doing sth. 禁不住做.....不由自主地做.....
can't (couldn't) resist doing sth.禁不住做.....: I couldn't resist laughing.
9.Maria is a _____ person and never makes any unreasonable demands.
A. sensitive B. sensible C. obedient D. jealous
[注释]sensible 通情达理的；sensitive敏感的；obedient顺从的；jealous 妒忌的，猜疑的，警惕的；
10. Violent programs on television may have a bad _____ on children.
A. affection B. pressure C. influence D. control
[注释]have a influence on 对..有影响；